Saturday 24 March 2012

Sports Relief

Well last night saw an amazing effort on tv with some very inspirational stories and over £50m raised for the charity Sports Relief. As well as some incredibly sad stories, and lots of tears, there were a number of celebrities that really did go the extra mile.

The achievements by John Bishop, David Walliams and Helen Skelton were to say the least awe inspiring, and watching the documentaries of what they managed to do made me realise that as long as you put your mind to it, anything is achievable.

The most inspirational person of the night however had to be Frank Skinner. Something so simple as swimming a length of a pool, for someone that couldnt swim and had a fear of water. The whole show was incredible, some extremely sad stories and an amazing charity that do so so much for so many people.

Sunday, tomorrow, I take part in miles 6.2 to 12.2 of my personal challenge of 100 miles for the NRAS in 2012 by taking part in the Sports Relief mile - 6 miles. Its not been an easy couple of weeks with some significant issues with my calf's that has really got me very worried. A lot of soreness and stiffness and real worry that Im going to get a serious injury. After a lot of thought, Ive gone back and redone the gait analysis and it appears my running style has changed slightly, so new trainers and hopefully all will go to plan tomorrow. Im expecting a very flat route, so would love to get round the course in about 1 hour 10.

My brother was also down to do the event with me, but unfortunately a fall has resulted in a fractured ankle. Thoughts are with him, and hopefully he will have recovered in time to take part in the Tewkesbury Half Marathon in May with me as his first event of the year for the NRAS. (He's also going to be doing the Royal Parks Half with me later in the year).
I will be accompanied by Abbey on the day. She is going to have a first go at running and will be amongst the thousands that are going to be running the Sports Relief mile.

Id always planned to use this as part of the NRAS 100 miles, however, after watching yesterday, I feel I have to try and raise some money for Sports Relief. £5 can make such a difference to this charity, and innoculate a child from illnesses that can kill, so............I know I have the NRAS charity page set up, but if any of you would like to sponsor me for the Sports Relief charity as well I would very much appreciate it:
http://my.sportrelief.com/sponsor/nras100miles
Thanks for any support that you can give me. Even spreading the word helps out so much so if you can I would really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment